Ližnjan is mentioned already in 990. A partition panel in limestone with ornament from the second half of X century was found there. Near Kuje bay a limestone capitel from mid 5th century and the Church of Lady of Kuj from 17th century, which was built on the ruins of the previous St. Tomas church were discovered. The floor mosaic dating as far as late ancient ages, an early Christian lamp with a human figure of Christ, and wall remains of the ancient building. are still preserved in the church.
You will reach the church when on the road to Kuje bay. Church was restored in 1995., and along its southern wall a tomb unknown till then was discovered. Later research of the records showed that that is probably the grave of Mate Blazinić, a sailors from Plomin, who died in the Kuje bay in 1756. The church was built on the site of a ancient the Roman villa. More precisely, the church was build in the place of two rooms of the villa rustica. Both rooms had a floor mosaic that can still be seen through the glass floor of the church. Study revealed the existence of thermal facilities within the villa and the lamp with the figure of Jesus of V Century as well. In the centre of Ližnjan there is the Church of Our Lady (of 1896).
The first inhabitants of Liznjan came from the area of Sinj, Poljica and Imotski. This region was governed by the Venetian Republic from the 14th century until the end of the 18th century. In recent history, this area was governed by the French, than Austrian and Italian authorities, but it was part of the Free Territory of Trieste, then part of socialist Yugoslavia, and today it is an integral part of the Republic of Croatia.
Near the Kuje bay there is a site called Kargadur, where archeological research of the fishing village began in 2001 which was inhabited from 5710 until 5630 B.C. After a "break" of about two hundred years, life has returned to the village. While in the whole Adriatic Sea only one fishing hook from that time, was found, on this site eight hooks were found. Moreover, there were found the remains of the first crops in Istria, the volcanic glass (up to now found only in Greece, Hungary and Italy), hunting arrows, jewelry, ceramics pieces
Nezakcij is the most important archaeological site in the entire Istrian peninsula. The large and massive fort of Nezakcij was formed in the Bronze Age. It was the Histrian capital and political and religious center of a tribal alliance of Histrians. In 177 B.C. a decisive battle between the Romans (numerically superior) and Histrians took place. To escape enemy hands, Epulon (king of Histrians), allegedly, threw himself on the sword and died. His soldiers followed his example. After the Roman conquest Nezakcij became a military reconnaissance stations on the road that from Pula, passing through Ližnjan, led to Labin and Liburnia. Findings presented in the light of day derived from the period between the eleventh and seventh century B.C. A necropolis, city walls and the foundation trench are preserved from the pre-historic period., The forum, baths, roads, water, doors and the remains of three temples belong to the Roman period. It is easy to distinguish the ruins of two large basilicaa, rectangular and parallel, early-Christian (5th century). There is a small is a small museum on the site. Most of the findings (urns, vases, oil-lamps, ceramics, glass lacrimarium) is kept at the Archaeological Museum in Pula. Among the findings there are items produced in Greece and Apulia.