Kostanjica, Kostanjevica (It. Castagna), an abandoned medieval village near Valtura.

It developed on the site of a Roman farm. The name of the village is first mentioned in 1150 (vicus Castaneus). From the 12th to the 16th century, it was one of the largest and most important villages in the Pula area. In the 16th century, many settlements in that area, including Kostanjica, were deserted due to plague, malaria and famine. Kostanjica was abandoned around 1585, and the remaining inhabitants moved to Muntić.

Today, only the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary is preserved. It belongs to the Parish of Muntić, to which it was annexed after its last surviving inhabitants moved there.

Dr. sc. Milena Joksimović

 

For Accommodation Owners

Vacation Houses or Apartments

EU fondovi